Rome, Italy Hotel Description: The Hotel Genio is located within a stone’s throw of Piazza Navona. It takes less than 5 minutes to walk to this beautiful Piazza know for its famous Bernini statue, The Four Rivers.
The easy access to Piazza Navona also means easy access to numerous restaurants. Though the restaurants can be touristy, they still offer good food and good people watching opportunities. On the quick walk to the Piazza Navona you will pass a glass encased view of Roman ruins. As often happens in Rome, you just happen upon structures from ancient times with little warning.
The best thing about the Hotel Genio in Rome is the rooftop terrace. From the roof you can look over Rome in all directions. You can see the domes and spires of churches all over the city. There is a particularly beautiful view of St. Peter’s. A metal, spiral staircase takes you to the top level of the roof so you can be above many of the surrounding buildings.
You can take a bottle of wine to the roof and sit at one of the tables to watch the sun set over the city. Although the terrace was open when we were there according to a number of customer reviews it is frequently closed.
• Located as close as you can get to the Piazza Navona
• Major credit cards accepted
• Rooms are sound-proofed
• Private bathrooms and showers
• A/C in all rooms (they can be loud, making the soundproofing useless)
• Multilingual staff
• Hairdryers in each room
• Breakfast included with the room rate, if you are getting a discounted room verify that breakfast is included
• American style bar and a large sitting room
• The computers were in working order which is not always the case in hotels and there was Internet access
• There is a garage for those brave enough to drive in Rome
• As with many European hotels, the AC is iffy
• The breakfast is serviceable, but the breakfast room is small
• Owned by Leonardi Hotels which is a chain, so it is not as quaint as some hotels
Rome, Italy Hotel, a Personal Review: My sister and I stayed in Hotel Genio for one night on our way to Sicily. Since we were only staying for one night and would be jet lagged for the day we were there we were more interested in location than amenities. The room we had was clean, with a large window and a nice view.
The Hotel Genio’s close proximity to the Piazza Navona was the main reason we chose this hotel. We love the Tartuffo at the restaurant Tres Scalini so our hotel selection was driven as much by our stomachs as our desire to see the sites.
From the hotel we were able to walk to not only Piazza Navona but to the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and a number of other sites. According to the hotel web-site you can also walk to St. Peter’s and the Vatican.
Rating:The Hotel Genio is rated four stars, remember the European star system refers to amenities provided and price, not quality.
Average Price: The average price of a double room is €230 (in 2006)
Address: Hotel Genio
Via G. Zanardelli, 28
(Navona Square) 00186 Rome – Italy
Phone: +39 06 6833781
Getting There: We had the hotel send a car to the airport, it was easy but not necessarily cheap.
Although our experience was good at the Hotel Genio, the customer reviews are all over the place. Please look at: the Venere web-site for more reviews of Hotel Genio in Rome, Italy.