Up at the Villa is a wonderful example of what a travel journal can be.
Author Linda Dini Jenkins includes a few pages at the back of the book for readers to start their own travel journal and offers the following tips:
- Capture the things you see on your travels and the things you don’t want to forget
- Include restaurants, hotels, historical sites and natural phenomena
- Record the names of people you travel with and the people you meet along the way
- Include dates, phone numbers and websites where possible
- Keep your ticket stubs, museum passes, restaurant cards and receipts
Here are a few more tips:
- Keep maps, tour itineraries, and brochures, you can cut out pictures from the brochure or sections of the map for your journal
- Train and bus tickets will remind you of where and when you traveled so keep them with your journal
- Pick up small things that you can bring home. They may not fit in a journal but pick up shells at the beach, pretty rocks from hikes, etc. to take with you; they make wonderful keepsakes from trips
- Keep notes on the sights, sounds and smells of a place you visit. Write about what you experience and not just what you see and where you went
Linda Dini Jenkins is the author of Up at the Villa: Travels with My Husband available through Amazon.